Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

5th Entry

Wow, what an amazing weekend!  I got some really exciting news on Friday afternoon that I was getting a promotion at work, so it made the weekend extra fun.  Maybe I celebrated a little too much, because by Memorial Day, Monday I was exhausted.  But once again yoga saves the day!!!
Crow
I went to a Monday morning hour and a half class of Vinyasa Flow yoga.  Oddly, I felt very strong that morning, even after going to a nightclub until about 1am the night before :)  So I decided I wanted to try a new series of poses that I had never done before, just so I could kick my own butt that day.  I did a "Crow" into a "Tripod Head Stand" back into "Crow".  I've attached some photo examples, but basically a crow is where you're crouched over with your hands on the floor, then you carefully rest your knees on your elbows, lifting your feet off the ground.  And a tripod head stand is where you're standing vertically on your head, with the support of your bent arms and hands on the floor.  I love the various benefits of being inverted and I make it a big focus of my practice.  I've also attached a link to "livestrong.com",  which displays it benefits in detail. But whenever I'm able to do something new, I leave the class feeling so accomplished and so proud of myself.  Once again, yoga allowed me to practice the art of finding a new edge, and experiencing something different.  As I've said over and over in my previous posts, yoga has taught me a way to translate my efforts in yoga practice to the actual practice of life, and I am very happy about that!
Tripod Head Stand
http://www.livestrong.com/article/403490-what-are-the-benefits-of-headstand-yoga/

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your promotion, and I'm glad that you had a good yoga experience this week as well. I cannot imagine doing this series opposes, or quite having the strength to do them. I have very wonderful strength in my core and in my legs, but not in my arms. Thank you also for the images, as they help to describe more specifically what you were talking about. Did you read the article about how people want to make yoga a competitive sport? a kind of seems a bit counter-intuitive: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/sports/national-yoga-competition-tests-even-the-audience.html?pagewanted=all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are some intense poses. I did yoga during a concert with a guy doing it this weekend, it was a cool experience. They were nothing like this of coarse, mostly mediation yoga, but it was quite the experience.

    ReplyDelete